As a landlord, you are responsible for the safety of your tenants. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 deal with landlords’ duties to make sure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe. Before the start of tenancy you must ensure that you have a valid Gas Safety Certificate within the last year. All appliances using gas and flues must be checked and have a certificate to ensure they are safe.

You only have to carry out a Gas Safety Inspection every 12 months, but it is worthwhile to have each appliance checked individually. Then you can be sure your property is safe.

Having a carbon monoxide alarm is also a must. It is a huge safety feature and the best way to protect your tenants from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Gas Safety Certificates are provided by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer after all the required safety checks are carried out and deemed safe to use.

What you’ll get with a Gas Safety Certificate:
  • Your gas appliances will be checked for gas tightness.
  • If test points are available, standing and working pressure will be tested.
  • Your Gas Safe engineer will check burner pressure and gas rate against the manufacturer’s data plate.
  • Checks will be carried out for the provision of all necessary ventilation.
  • Flue flow will be tested to make sure products of combustion are removed.
  • All flame failure devices will be checked for satisfactory operation.
  • Where appropriate checks will be made for physical stability, presence and effectiveness of stability brackets.
  • Investigations for any evidence of unsafe operation will be made and reported.
Landlord Reviews

"I have been letting my properties with Tenant Find for several years now, both lets are successful and have professional tenants. I am very happy with their service, Thank you for all your help and support"

Paul Cook

If your property fails any of the above, it cannot be provided with a gas safety certificate.

Gas Safety Certificate